The Novalja County Port Authority was established pursuant to Article 31 of the Law on Seaports (Official Gazette 108/95, 97/00) and Article 7 of the Law on Establishments (Official Gazette 76/93, 29 / 97) by decision of the Lika-Senj County Council of 8 April 1999.
The Novalja County Port Authority was established to manage, build and use ports open to public traffic of county and local importance in the area of the local self-government unit.
The Port Authority is a non-profit legal entity with rights and obligations governed by the Law, the Founding Decision and the Statute.
The Novalja County Port Authority manages the following ports open to public traffic of county significance: Novalja, Žigljen and Drljanda
The Novalja County Port Authority manages the following ports open to public traffic of local importance: Stara Novalja, Metajna, Jakišnica and Tovarnele (Lun)
The County Port Authority is managed by the Governing Council.
The members of the Governing Board are:
- Marijan Kustić, president, representative of the founder;
- Matej Guščić, representative of the founder;
- Josip Šonje, Founder’s Representative;
- Dario Bacic, representative of the dealers;
- Zivko Skunca, representative of the competent port authority (Novalja branch office)
The work of the County Port Authority is managed by the Director, who organizes, manages the work and operations of the County Port Authority of Novalja.
The director of the Novalja County Port Authority is Igor Vidas.
The County Port Authority performs the following activities within its scope of work:
- care for the construction, maintenance, management, protection and enhancement of the maritime domain represented by the port area;
- construction and maintenance of the port truss,
- professional supervision of the construction, maintenance, management and protection of the port area (port underpasses and superstructures);
- ensuring the permanent and smooth operation of port traffic, technical and technological unity and safety of navigation;
- ensuring the provision of services of general interest or for which there is no economic interest of other economic operators;
- coordinating and supervising the work of concession holders engaged in economic activity in the port area;
- making a decision on the establishment and management of a free zone in a port area in accordance with the regulations governing free zones;
- other business established by law.
Pursuant to Art. 60 of the Law on Maritime Property and Seaports the revenues of the port authority are:
- port fees,
- compensation for port concessions,
- funds from the founder’s budget,
- other income.
The Novalja County Port Authority is a non-profit legal entity to which the regulations on institutions apply.
The Regulation on the Accounting of Non-Profit Organizations (Official Gazette 10/08, 07/09) and the Book of Regulations on the Accounting and Accounting Plan of Non-Profit Organizations (Official Gazette 20/94, 40/94 and 98) shall apply to financial operations. / 94).
The total area of the port area managed by the County Port Authority of Novalja amounts to 582.380 m², occupying 524.100 m² of the sea area and 58.280 m² of land.
The port open to public traffic of county importance, the Žigljen port, covers 107,000 m² of the port area, 82,000 m² of the sea area, and 25,000 m² of land.
The port of Žigljen connects the island of Pag with the mainland, through which the state ferry line Prizna – Žigljen runs by the ship “Jadrolinija” Rijeka.